3D-Printed Personalized Tablet for Gastrointestinal Disorders
Patients take too many tablets daily, leading to poor outcomes associated with polypharmacy. There is a need for personalized on-demand poly-pills in patients who face problems of malabsorption, high pill burden and multiple supplementation.
To develop a 3D printing process for personalized tablets and conduct testing & validation of 3D printed tablets
- Developed 3 different pharmaceutical formulation bases of different release profiles such as immediate and sustained release for the incorporation of various active ingredients to be used in 3D printing.
- Set up the process for 3D printing of personalized supplement or medicines using a paste extrusion 3D printer.
- Demonstrated the combination of various active ingredients into a single pill, while still maintaining its own unique chemical structure and properties.
- Printed tablet has equivalent, if not better properties such as dissolution profiles or hardness, as compared to existing commercial drug tablets.
- Led to one patent filing and creation of a spin-off company (CRAFT HEALTH PTE LTD). The project team has secured NUS GRIP award in its inaugural run and has since raised SGD 950,00 investment in their seed round to further develop and scale up their 3D printing platform for personalized nutrition and medicine.